Skip to main content

Jack O'Lantern


The poisonous Jack O'Lantern, Omphalotus illudens, resembles the Chanterelle, but once you see them in person, you'll see they're very different. The Jack O'Lantern is much larger and has true, plate-like gills. It also grows from dead wood, though that wood can be buried. You're also likely to see the Jack O'Lantern later in the year. 

I've heard that this mushroom glows in the dark. Alas, I've yet to see it.

Omphalotus species contain the toxin muscarine, which was first isolated from Amanita muscaria. Muscarine can be fatal in high doses.